Copyright Performance Permissions

By NFHS and NAfME on December 10, 2020 music directors & adjudicators article Print

The primary permissions provider for a musical work is the copyright holder(s). In most circumstances, the music publisher holds the copyright for the work and can grant synchronization, mechanical, and public performance licenses. Public performance licenses may also be obtained from the appropriate Performance Rights Organization (PRO), such as ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC. It is important to identify all potential rights implicated on a per-use basis, and to secure the appropriate permissions.

Click here to see examples of different performance scenarios and the licenses required for each.

Please click here to access the NFHS Copyright Resources Main Hub.

Please click here to access more NFHS Resources.