• Home
  • Articles
  • BMI and the NFHS Make it Simple to License Music

BMI and the NFHS Make it Simple to License Music

By Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) on May 13, 2021 music directors & adjudicators article Print

Music Licensing for Schools K-12

After receiving feedback from K-12 schools and districts across the country, the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) partnered with Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI), the global leader in rights management, to offer its association members a new K-12 School music license.

A BMI music license offers K-12 schools across the country copyright clearance to play any of the more than 17 million songs that BMI licenses. The license also includes a locations rider so each district can cover multiple schools under one license including off-site events for faculty and administration. Here’s how you can get started:

Call BMI

Call (877) 264-2136 to get a license over the phone.

Download License

(Click Here)


BMI’s Music License Saves You Time & Money

Save Time & Money- A BMI license saves you the time and expense of contacting each songwriter or composer for the permission needed to play their music publicly at your events.

It’s Simple – Eliminates complex reporting and allows you to make music use changes online or over the phone.

It’s Convenient- Pay your bill online or over the phone, securely and easily.



See below for the most common music licensing questions in schools. If you have additional questions, please review our full list of Licensing FAQs or contact a BMI representative.

How do we know if we are playing BMI Music? What songs are in BMI’s repertoire?

Currently, BMI represents the public performance rights in over 17 million musical works created and owned by more than 1.1 million songwriters, composers and music publishers in all genres of music.  You can search the entire repertoire of music by song title, artist, songwriter, composer or publisher, including songs that are 100% BMI, at https://repertoire.bmi.com/.

What is Songview?

Songview is a data platform developed by ASCAP and BMI, the nation’s two largest performance rights organizations (PROs), to provide the public with a comprehensive view of ownership shares for the vast majority of works licensed in the United States. With Songview integrated into our databases, ASCAP and BMI are able to display more detailed, authoritative and consistent copyright ownership data for performing rights for over 20 million songs in our combined repertoires. The information is accessible on both the ASCAP and BMI websites for free, and you can tailor your search for the information that you want. For more information on Songview, click here.

What Types of Musical Performances Does a BMI Music License Cover?

The BMI Music License for Schools covers, but is not limited to, live or recorded performance by or at the school’s:

Musical Attractions: concerts: operas, chamber music, symphonies; stage shows: musicals, plays, variety/talent shows, recitals

Sporting Events and Performing Groups: games, pep rallies; student band/orchestra, drama/theater club

Special Events: orientation, graduation, school dances, fundraisers, fairs/festivals

Administration Use: classrooms/hallways/common areas, music-on-hold, website and intranet transmissions, school radio broadcasting stations and closed-circuit TV, gyms, fitness centers, athletic facilities, club or student union meetings

We want to upload/livestream an event with music using an online platform. Will the BMI license cover us for that?

Yes, if the performance will be put on your website, a BMI music license will cover that. For livestreaming on social media, a BMI license will cover the public performance rights, but the platform you use may require additional licenses, including sync or mechanical.  If you plan to livestream, please contact a BMI representative at (877) 264-2136 for more information.

We want to perform a musical revue with our students. Will the BMI license cover us for that?

If you are taking musical pieces from different plays and performing them in one show, then BMI licenses the performing rights. However, the right to perform shows in their entirety - known as the “grand right” - such as “Fiddler on The Roof” or “Cabaret,” on the legitimate stage, must be obtained directly from the publishers of the music or the producers of the show.



 Find more copyright resources here